Thursday, November 4, 2010

News and Chocolate

While browsing the Web looking for stories to write about this week, I came across a some delicious stories about a chocolate exhibition that recently opened at the Minnesota History Center. One story is from one the well-known Star Tribune and the other is from Southwest Newspapers in Shakopee, Minn.

Although both stories were well written, I was far more engaged with the Southwest Newspaper version. This version was better mainly because it incorporated a story about a real person in the lead. The narrative lead paired with quotes got me to keep reading and kept me interested.

Despite the conciseness of the Star Tribune story, I wasn't as compelled to read the whole story. Furthermore, the lead was a bit too cutesy for my personal taste. It sounded more like the opening narration of a corny movie than that of a news story.

The winner this round: Southwest Newspapers

No comments:

Post a Comment