Friday, November 12, 2010

K-9 story

This morning, I found two short, breaking news stories about a police dog that was wounded while searching for burglars in Maplewood. The stories are from:
The Star Tribune
The Pioneer Press

I like the lead in the Pioneer Press story the best because it sums up the most important parts of the story tightly and nicely. It is very straightforward, unlike the Star Tribune lead which uses a long, awkward lead that delays the real news until the second sentence.

Although I like the Pioneer Press lead better, the Star Tribune story is better overall. It has more information, quotes, and reporting. In this competitive news market, it's important to get as much info out as quickly as you can, and the Star Tribune does a good job of that with this story.

The winner this round: The Star Tribune.

No comments:

Post a Comment